Pages

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Jesus Christ ... Savior

Merry Christmas everyone... Over the years, I've seen (even used it in the past not realizing what I was doing) the words Merry Xmas. In recent years, it didn't seem like a simple abbreviation, but a deletion of my Savior. Interestingly, take note of Who the "X" replaces ... "Christ." We cannot take Christ out of the equation, if and when many do, this changes the entire meaning—well, it makes it meaningless. Some stores peddle off holiday cards that show a merry Santa Claus giving gifts to little children, dismissing the greatest gift God gave to us. What does Christmas mean to the average American?

Many argue that it has paganistic roots while others take advantage of this day to siphon money from unsuspecting Christians. It is obviously clear that the motive behind celebrating this day may vary depending upon who you ask. For me and my family, Christmas is not centered on gift-giving; it is centered on Christ. We give of our time, our efforts, and our love. We often laugh, recalling that it’s not our birthday that we’re celebrating, but Christ’s. We do share a token of appreciation with one another whether it is a card, a phone call, or something that we may need or can afford to give, but that is also practiced all year round, not just because the country has deemed December 25th a national holiday.

Also, it is important to not go into debt trying to impress someone with a present that you can’t even afford. How is that a gift? It may leave you feeling empty and the other person guilty because of the amount of money spent. Consider the hungry, the homeless, and the imprisoned.

Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’ “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me,’” Matthew 25:34-40, NKJV.

In the bustle of storewide sales and preparing dinners fit for kings, let us not forget about the King of kings and Lord of lords, Jesus Christ. He didn’t forget about us.

No comments: